Since 1915 Makita has been making electric motors in Japan. All those years of experience helps them innovate and manufacture some of the best cordless drills in the world. So what makes Makita power tools some of the most reliable in the industry? It starts with premium raw materials. They only use the best steel, copper, and rare earth magnets. Then all important shafts and gears are heat treated to maximize durability. Quality control is second to none along the manufacturing process with 19 quality checks on the motor alone. Finally rigorous testing is done to ensure maximum performance.
Makita was rated 5 stars in customer satisfaction by J.D. Power and Associates Power Circle Ratings for cordless drills. The brand scored 762 points on a 1000 point scale, which was just 8 points behind the overall winner Milwaukee. Ratings for their whole lineup of cordless drills are almost always very high on shopping sites like Amazon and other tool sites.
All of Makita’s Li-Ion cordless tools come with a 3-year warranty, and the chargers and batteries come with a 1-year warranty from original date of purchase.
One of the best features of Makita power tools is there ability to share batteries of the same voltage and makeup. For example their LXT Lithium-Ion line of tools allows users to swap batteries between all the different tools in that product line. (See image below)
As far as just the cordless drills go here are Makita’s latest offerings with our rating for each (click link for more info on each model):
Cordless Drill / Drivers
- Makita BDF451 18V High Performance Li-Ion Drill / Driver – 9.4
- Makita BDF452 18V Standard Li-Ion Drill / Driver – 8.8
- Makita LXFD01CW 18V Compact Li-Ion Drill / Driver – 8.7
- Makita 6281DWPE 14.4V 3/8″ Compact NiCd Drill / Driver – 7.0
- Makita 6271DWPE 12V 3/8″ NiCd Drill / Driver – 7.5
Cordless Hammer Drills
- Makita BHP 454 18V High Performance Li-Ion Hammer Drill – 8.8
- Makita BHP452 18V Standard Li-Ion Hammer Drill – 8.4 – 8.4
- Makita BHP452HW 18V Compact Li-Ion Hammer Drill – 8.5